Tuesday, September 21, 2010

What is using adjectives my disk space?

My laptop have about 86 gigs of disk space, but just 23 gigs of it is free. From adding up everything, I'm pretty sure that I should enjoy at least 17gb, if more, worth of more free space. What is taking up those 17 gigs? I've already defragmented and deleted makeshift files, and still can't find a reason.



What in the main concerns me is my Documents and Settings folder... when i see the properties on it, it says it uses 11 gigs. However, when I in reality go INTO the folder and join up how much space each individual folder take up, it doesn't even add up to more than 3 gigs worth of stuff. Where is the other 8 gb coming from? My laptop runs on window XP and doesn't have more than one user sketch.



I'm so confused! :(


Answer:

It could be hidden temp files. Shut the laptop sour and boot into safe mode (hold down the F8 switch right after POST and select safe mode from the menu). When it comes up to the desktop, hold down the Windows switch and E key...this will clear windows explorer. Go to Tools, next Folder Options, click on View, select Show Hidden Files and Folders. Then go to c:\documents and settings\(whatever your username may be)\Local Settings\Temp. Hold down Ctrl+A and delete adjectives those files.



Some of your temp files may not be able to be delete unless in secure mode. That should help a bit bit.
It may be some hidden files or downloaded files contained by a remote folder. I suggest you use JDiskReport from:

http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/jdiskre...

to see where your disk space is going. I use this program myself and find it exceptionally valuable!


No comments:

Post a Comment